Saturday, April 10, 2010

Prepping the Yamaha

Since I bought my Harley earlier this year, my first motorcycle, a red 1987 Yamaha Virago, has received very little attention. My buddy Mike Chretien was right when he predicted, "you're not going to ride it" anymore.

I've only had it out two or three times since I bought the Harley, mostly short rides just to keep the battery charged. I knew I was going to be selling it, and I had to make a couple minor repairs, but it wasn't high on my priority list.

A couple weeks ago, I finally overcame my procrastination and bought the two parts I needed: a mirror, and a rear turn signal. The left rear turn signal broke last summer when the bike tipped over after I parked the bike, but failed to ensure my kickstand was locked in (that was embarrassing!), and the right mirror broke last fall when I was trying to walk the bike on some grass, lost my balance and the bike tipped over.

I had gotten used to riding the Yamaha without a functioning left rear turn signal (I hand signaled instead), or a right side mirror, but since I am selling the bike, I want it to be fully functional and safe for the next rider.

Although it took me several months to get the parts, which I found used on eBay, at least they didn't sit in my garage too long once I received them. I installed them today when I had a couple hours of free time. Now all the bike needs is a good cleaning before I put it up for sale.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the selling process. I'm always surprised how few people realize that an hour or so cleaning and a few dollars to fix up minor blemishes can make a huge difference in the price you get and the speed at which you sell. So you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, if you have two bikes, they should be for different purposes. I've got a cruiser (hot rod) and a tourer (station wagon).
    Hope you get some decent cash for the Yamaha, and can make someone else happy in the process.

    ReplyDelete