Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Ultimate Sacrifice

For many, Memorial Day weekend signals the unofficial start of summer. Some people look forward to retail sales, cookouts or simply having three days off from work. But the real purpose of Memorial Day is to honor those Americans who lost their lives while serving in our military.

Anna and I decided to attend a different church on Sunday, Quidnick Baptist Church in Coventry, R.I., because we know its pastor, Joseph T. Campbell. Pastor Joe is also a member of the Romans 8 Riders chapter of the Christian Motorcyclists Association. For his sermon, Pastor Joe read from Psalm 144, sometimes referred to as the 'soldiers' psalm.'

"Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues people under me." (Psalm 144, vs. 1-2)

U.S. soldiers, past and present, willingly put their lives on the line so that we may enjoy several freedoms, including freedom of speech and freedom of religion. There is no greater sacrifice than to lay down one's life for another.

Just as soldiers have died for our freedom, Jesus also willingly sacrificed His life on the cross so that mankind may have eternal life. "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment