Saturday, November 7, 2009

How I Came to Ride, Part 2 - The CMA


In October, 2008, I was going through several life-changing events. Having gone to court for my divorce at the end of August, I was having a tough time emotionally. Court went smoothly, since it was a simple, uncontested divorce, but I wasn't prepared for the emotional aftermath. Something inside of me (I later realize it was God) told me I had to deal with these emotions head-on, instead of drinking and using women to numb them. So, I got active in AA and found a Christian-based divorce recovery group at a local church. Soon after, I made a decision to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

Around this time, I was also working on getting my motorcycle license, when I got an email from Pam, a friend of mine. She forwarded me an email from her friend, Bob, who I had met once before. I forget what the email was about, but Bob's email signature had a link to a group called the Christian Motorcyclists Association. So I clicked on the link and learned about the CMA, whose main purpose is to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with the motorcycling community. I thought it was great there was an organization that combined two of my new interests - Jesus Christ and motorcycles.

I saw that Bob was the road captain of the local CMA chapter, Romans 8 Riders, so I emailed him to ask some questions. He invited me to the chapter's next monthly meeting, which was at a Bickford's restaurant. I had no idea what to expect when I walked into the restaurant. I didn't know if I would fit in - I didn't even own a motorcycle yet. Several members greeted me, some of them were intimidating looking - a few big guys, with tattoos, earrings, leather, including one guy named "Spike" (now our chapter president) - but their smiles and friendly attitudes made me feel welcome. They had dinner before the meeting, and followed with a group prayer.

Well, I've been going to just about every monthly meeting of Romans 8 since November 2008 and quickly got to know everyone. After several months, I became a CMA member and earned a back patch after completing a ministry training course, and then was voted in as a member of Romans 8 Riders chapter soon after.

You couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people. Besides the meetings, I've participated in group rides, bike blessings, bike shows, retreats and a toy run. I've gotten to know people from other CMA chapters also. My CMA brothers and sisters helped me find my first bike, improved my riding skills, prayed for me and encouraged me when I've gone through difficult times. Basically, they have helped me to become a better biker and a better Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment